It is not essential to take any classes before writing an AP or CLEP exam even though some Canadian high schools offer AP prep classes as part of their curriculum. CLEP exams may be written at a few select testing centres in Canada depending on where in the country you live. AP exams are only held at provincially-accredited high schools, but outside students – individuals from other schools or home-schoolers are permitted to pay the registration fee and write the exam at any high school.


Preparation books at local bookstores and libraries are available for independent preparation and test preparation as not every AP student will have chosen to complete a high school diploma. Most AP students will apply to university as high school diploma students, having attained a provincial diploma while taking AP exams. They will also be eligible for advanced standing or credit upon admission. Some universities treat advanced placement students as university transfer students because of their educational background. Students therefore ultimately end up applying to university as a homeschooler, mature student or open university student if they have no high school diploma.

Normally, a university’s website will indicate a list of their credit courses which can be earned through transfer credit with a successful AP exam score. Depending on the school, you may be required to earn a 4 or 5 on the AP exam to receive transfer credit from the university. Most Canadian universities have a maximum number of credits that can be gotten through AP examinations. While some schools do not put a limit on the number of courses that can be earned others only allow at least 2 or 3 full-year courses of transfer credit.

Students can earn university credits, sometimes just enough to qualify for admission directly into second year at a Canadian university, through college-level examinations such as the Advanced Placement (AP) program and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). The AP and CLEP examinations do not issue university credits themselves.


 They provide standardized test scores at university-level examinations which a Canadian university may choose to acknowledge as equivalent to attainment in a course at its institution. Some universities limit the amounts of credits they will issue through prior examination, while others will only allow a student to sidestep introductory courses, not obtain credit for them.

Copyright Aitchison School of Canada Inc.